Maine Volunteer Roll of Honor
Nominations open until March 20, 2017.
What it is
Maine is fortunate to have hundreds of citizens who dedicate their time and energy to helping others on a regular basis.
The Volunteer Roll of Honor recognizes volunteers age 19 and older who meet the following criteria:
- devoted 500 hours or more of volunteer service to the community during the past twelve months (Jan.-Dec. preceding nomination deadline). Note charitable giving and court-ordered community service may not be counted.
- service hours are documented by the program(s) or organization(s) with whom the volunteer served.
All volunteers certified as qualifying by the nominating program will be recognized. This is not a competitive recognition program.
Individuals added to the Maine Volunteer Roll of Honor receive three types of recognition:
1. A Governor's Awards for Service and Volunteerism certificate signed by the Governor with the person's name and total hours of service during the prior year.
2. Listing by name, town, and hours of service in an advertisement published in Bangor Daily News during National Volunteer Week. This form of recognition is intended to generate more local congratulations from neighbors and friends of the volunteer.
3. Listing on VolunteerMaine.org as Maine Volunteer Roll of Honor members for the following 8 months.
4. Free ticket to the Portland Sea Dogs' Volunteer Appreciation game on April 25, 2017. Pre-game recognition includes listing the person's name on the jumbotron board along with the program in which they served.
Thanks to the program sponsors, there is no cost for the three forms of appreciation listed above.
OPTIONAL and FOR PURCHASE: Organizations submitting nominees for this Maine award program have the option of requesting a Presidential Volunteer Service Award (pin, coin, or medallion) to accompany the state certificate. These will be given to the program for presentation locally. There is a cost for the Presidential Volunteer Service Awards and the fee is based on the amount charged by Points of Light Foundation, the national administrator of the program.
Lifetime Achievement Presidential Volunteer awards can also be purchased for those volunteers who have contributed 4,000 hours or more to serving their communities.
The prices and options for the Presidential Volunteer Services Award are included on the Maine nomination data form you can download below. (See "Nomination Process.")
All nominees for recognition under the Maine Volunteer Roll of Honor (19 years of age and older) must be submitted by 5pm on March 20, 2017.
All nominations must be submitted using the spreadsheet form provided below. It should be sent as an email attachment to GovServiceAwards@volunteermaine.org .
- Download this NOMINATION DATA form. (Excel spreadsheet)
- Complete all the fields requested. This is important since the data your provide is used to fill out the certificate and compose the newspaper, online, and baseball game listings.
- EMAIL the form as an attachment to GovServiceAwards@VolunteerMaine.org
Thanks to the Roll of Honor Sponsors!